The 5th Border Collie National will be held at the purpose-build Bill Spilstead Complex for Canine Affairs at Dogs NSW, which boasts specialised facilities for conformation judging, herding, agility, obedience, as well as facilities for an array of sporting events including endurance, earth dog, lure coursing and field retrieving trials. This scenic heritage-listed site is the home of dog sports in NSW.
The Dogs NSW Grounds are located an hour west of Sydney’s CBD and airport in the growing Western Sydney corridor. For those travelling by car, it is conveniently connected by road in short distance from the M4 and M7 motorways. We advise checking the TransportNSW website if you plan to travel by public transport.
International Visitors Check-In
We want our international visitors to feel welcome when they arrive in Sydney... If you are an overseas guest attending our National in October, be sure to 'check-in' with us to let us know you are coming!
Please find below some recommendations for accommodation options close to the grounds for exhibitors and visitors.
Recommendations for visitors without dogs...
- Mercure Hotel @ Penrith Panthers (Penrith) - 14km (14 mins). Excellent dining and entertainment options available onsite.
- Napean Shores (Jamison) - 14km (14 mins)
- Astina Serviced Apartments (Penrith) - 12km (14 mins)
- Holiday Inn (St Marys) - 7km (13 mins)
- Nightcap Jamison Hotel (Jamison) - 11km (12 mins)
- Atura Blacktown (Prospect) - 15km (12 mins)
- Hawkesbury Race Club Hotel (Clarendon) - 34km (35mins)
Suggestions for exhibitors travelling with dogs...
- Nightcap at the Blue Cattle Dog (St Clair) - 3km (4 mins). Cars & trailers permitted. No dogs in rooms.
- Penrith Valley Inn (Penrith) - 18km (20 mins). Trailers permitted at additional charge. No dogs in rooms.
- Avina Caravan Park (Vineyard) - 31km (35 mins)
Private home rental via online sites such as AirBnb or HomeAway may be another excellent option for exhibitors travelling with dogs (especially groups). Search for properties in the Penrith, Blacktown, Camden or Fairfield areas for locations with easy access to the grounds and on average within 30 minutes by car.
Bookings for on-site camping facilities at the 2019 National can be placed directly through the Dogs NSW Online Bookings system.
Dogs NSW has 20 powered and 20 unpowered sites, shower and toilet facilities and an off-leash dog area. More information about Camping at Dogs NSW can be found on their website, and any queries you may have can be answered by the Dogs NSW office staff.
- Leanne Hagarty - phone 0407 415 388 (drop-off and pick-up to Orchard Hills)
TOURISM & INTERNATIONAL VISITORS
For those planning their visit to Sydney for the first time (or for the first time in a long time...) and are hoping to stay on for some holiday-ing whilst here for the National, here are some ideas of what your trip may entail.
We would recommend flying into Sydney early so that you can enjoy exploring our lovely CBD and harbour, before relocating west for the National. The Dogs NSW Grounds is at the foothills of Sydney's historic and serene Blue Mountains, so this would be a perfect next destination following our weekend of BC fun and festivity! Or why not stay on a little longer still, and enjoy a relaxing getaway to the Hunter Valley or Southern Highlands before flying out.